The Ottawa River offers an efficient by-pass system to circumvent obstacles to navigation, such as rapids and dams. The system consists of state-of-the-art hydraulic trailers and trucks that lift your vessel onto a platform and transport it safely by road to the launching site on the other side of the obstacle. The traveling time varies from 20 to 50 minutes.
How to make a lift reservation
You can book a reservation online or by calling 1-866-224-5244. Reservations must be planned 24 hours in advance. We will contact you as soon as possible to confirm your reservation and confirm time of pick-up.
Types of crafts accommodated
The by-pass system can handle many types of recreational crafts:
- Cruisers up to 30 – 32 feet in length
- Pontoon boats up to 28 feet
- Fishing boats, PWC
- Sailboats with retractable masts and keels
- Weight not to exceed 12,000 lbs
- Boats exceeding 8 feet 6 inches (2.60 meters) in width require a special transportation permit billed to the client.
Unfortunately, due to clearance and trailer design, houseboats or sailboats not equipped with retractable keels and quick-stepping masts cannot be accommodated.
Following is a list of the by-pass sites:
- Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario – By-pass
- Lavergne Bay
- Portage-du-Fort and Bryson, Quebec
- Chichester and Desjardinsville, Quebec
- Rapides-des-Joachims, Swisha, Quebec
- Mattawa – Ontario
All by-pass sites have modern docks, concrete ramps and select sites have additional amenities available to make over-night stays at the docks more convenient.